Pictures of the Week
Preservation, a national organization whose aim is to
preserve America's history, has awarded the City of Bangor a
grant of $1,000 to assess the preservation needs of three statues
in downtown Bangor. Heritage Preservation's Save
Outdoor Sculpture! is a key partner in Save America's
Treasures, along with the National
Endowment for the Arts, the White
House Millennium Council, the National Trust for Historic
Preservation, the National Parks
Foundation, and Target Stores. Save Outdoor Sculpture!
also awards grants for conservation treatment, maintenance
training, and achievement.
All three of these statues were the work of sculptor Charles Eugene Tefft (1874 - 1951), a native of Brewer.
Click on any picture to enlarge it.
Hannibal Hamlin, Vice President during Abraham Lincoln's first term, seems to be strolling along the Kenduskeag Mall between State Street and Central Street. This bronze statue was erected in 1927. The Hannibal Hamlin House can also be seen in Bangor.
The Luther H. Peirce Memorial has been on Harlow Street next to the Bangor Public Library since 1925. This gift to the city memorializes Bangor's logging-industry past; it shows three river drivers prying the key log out of a jam using an axe, cantdog, and peavey.
Between Central Street and Franklin Street is Victory, the Veterans of Foreign Wars Memorial, installed in 1939. This bronze figure of a woman is in a vestpocket park called Norumbega Parkway.
Learn more about Charles Eugene Tefft
See other Pictures of the Week
Return to Bairnet